Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Travel!

It’s been a while since my last post! Sorry, I’ve been busy traveling the globe ☺

I’m starting to write this post in Heathrow airport on my way to Dublin. I’ll be spending the night there tonight, and then I’m coming back to London tomorrow night! Quick trip, just me and my camera… I can’t wait. Of course, an added bonus is that with the conclusion of this trip I will be able to cross off “visit every (major) country in my heritage” from my bucket list. I started this one 5 years ago when I went to Germany with my high school choir, then completed phase two over the weekend in Edinburgh, Scotland, and will effectively complete stage three as I leave Dublin Ireland. Life is great right now!

Speaking of Edinburgh… OMG IT IS BEAUTIFUL!! I was not expecting it to be so stunning, but as we all walked off the train, our breaths were literally taken away (might have had something to do with the huge stair case we had to climb, but still). I absolutely loved it there, and made a point to tell my friends (who included my friends Jeff and Toni from another Arcadia residence, my roommate Melissa and two other flat mates Carrie and Vinita) how I felt a strong connection and sense of kinship to this country. They got annoyed fast, but I couldn’t help but jump for joy when I saw a bagpiper, rows of Scottish tartan shops, the beautiful highlands in the distance and firth of forth waterway. Soon after my group learned that I am of Lamont and Campbell decent, they began the scavenger hunt with me to find both tartans. I did, after a lot of search. Lamont is apparently very hard to find, but I did eventually find it. We also visited a couple of cemeteries and I was able to spot many Campbells, (of which, I would run up to and yell “hello possible clan member!” So much for “rest in peace.”) but no Lamonts. The trip to the cemeteries continued what turned into “accidental Harry Potter day.” At Kings Cross Melissa and Vinita found platform 9 ¾ (which I already visited) and I ended up listening to Harry Potter on audiobook on our train ride north, and that evidentially put some good nerdy luck in our shoes. When we arrived at our hostel we asked where a good place close to eat lunch was. The staff informed us of a cute little café down the road. Oh, and it just so happened to be the place where JK Rowling wrote several Harry Potter books. We all did a little dance and hopped to it. Later that night, after a long day of tartan shopping, castle exploring and scotch drinking, we decided to stop by the cemetery where a dog who supposedly stayed by his masters grave after he died is buried (Greyfriars Bobby, in case you were wondering). We walked through the kirk a bit, and low and behold, we come across Tom Riddle’s (Voldemort) grave and McGonagall’s. Check out the picture of me with a make shift wand in my Edinburgh(ah) photo album. Possibly the best picture every taken. Ever.

Sidenote- pear magners is not as good as pear bulmers, as I just learned on my flight.

Anywho… besides my world traveling, life in London has been great. I only have 10 days left before I go back to the states, so I need to do some serious sightseeing. The only major things I have left to do are Abbey Road and Parliament, which I have obviously seen, but want to tour it. I also still need to go to church at Westminster Abbey. This has been the plan since day one, but I’ve never made services yet. I will though… I think.

I hate to think of what my life will be like when I go back home- sitting on my ass watching TV, because what else is there to do? Oh, I guess I need to start WORK. Sigh, the thought of North/Center desk depresses me because my senior year is so close to starting, and I have no idea what my life will entail when May roles around again. Perhaps I’ll just have to come back to London!! (I can hear my parents sigh's an ocean away…)

I’m landing soon in Dublin… look out Ireland, this chick is whipping out her shamrock tattoo and showing some Irish pride!! Erin Go Bragh!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment