Friday, May 28, 2010

an attempt to un-waste my time

In my never ending search for scholarships and grants for London, I came across one that seemed simple enough: In 250 words, describe 5 things you cannot travel without. I love writing, so this was an easy task (well, easy until I realized I had to cut down my original 600 words to 250). I was getting ready to send it, and then I re-read the assignment: For 2010-2011 school year study abroad applicants only. Winners will be notified September 1, 2010. Well fuck. But to make those 2 hours go un-wasted... here is my essay!

Packing up my belongings for my upcoming semester in London, my mind races as I throw things in my suitcase. As I weigh the chances of me actually wearing my sequined trimmed tunic, I look up and see a picture of my family. Now this I know I can’t be without for 8 weeks. I glance at my mother in the picture and realize that not everything I need can be packed. She taught me to always appreciate other cultures and their uniqueness, a lesson that is sure to come in handy. My father’s face jumps out at me next, a man who values an education above all. I grab my new travel books, briefly flipping through the pages as I pack. My brother’s smiling face reminds me to bring my journal. He would tell me to write down everything and to spare no detail because my journal will help keep this trip alive. I see my sister, and realize I have yet to pack the most essential item of all: my camera. She would tell me that a photo is more special than any souvenir money can buy. There is no way I could remember the vast beauty of Europe with out snapping a photo. Zipping up my suitcase, I know that even if I did forget something, I have my 5 essentials with me, making me ready to hop the pond and start the most amazing 8 weeks of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment