Saturday, June 5, 2010

Discovering London

When I heard that my classes would only be 2 days a week, I was worried about what to do with my time, but now I don't think I will have enough time to squeeze in all there is to learn about London!

This week was full of Arcadia orientation, walking, pub exploring, walking, and meeting lots and lots of people. Did I mention we walked? My feet hurt so bad, but it's worth the pain... although the fact that my shoes are very tight because my feet are swollen is a little unnerving.

I could go on for days about what I have been doing, but I think I will just hit the highlights.
- The day I woke up at 3:30am ended up being my best day here, so far. I explored the area around my university, Islington. It is a very quaint neighborhood with a lot of beautiful brick buildings and fun little shops. Islington is about 45 minutes away by tube from Notting Hill, so I have to leave very early for class, but I have discovered I rather like the tube, it's a great place to people watch!
- That same day I went on a scavenger hunt with 2 of my London birthday buddies. That's right, there are 4 people in my program who were born on July 1st. We thought that teaming up together to complete the hunt would bring us luck, and I guess we were right because one of the pictures we took won us 3 passes to the London Eye! Unfortunately, I can't post pictures on here, so look at my facebook page!
- I awoke at a normal time on the third day, thank god. I began the day by visiting what has become my regular spot, Cafe Diana, to get a coffee. Much to my surprise and delight, the owner saw me walk in and knew my order, after just one visit! I love this place, there are pictures of Princess Diana everywhere, and since she was one of my role models growing up, it is becoming the best part of my day.
- I decided to change my class from Sex, Gender and The City to Play Critique. In this class we will be going to shows every week and critiquing them. I am so so so excited for this, it is going to be amazing.
- I was assigned my first project with one of my flat mates, Gordon, and two girls from the other Arcadia residence, Thoresby House. We traveled to Brick Lane and explored. It was cool, but not as amazing as everyone made it out to be. However, I have heard that it is very different at night, so I would like to go back some evening. The next day we presented the area to the other participants, and learned about various areas of the city. I found out that there is a Freud Museum, and the psychology nerd in me is aching to go.
- Found one amazing aspect of London Universities that no American one will ever live up to, they have pubs in the Student Union. Before our presentation Gordon and I went down there and threw back some pints... you know, to ease our nerves about presenting :)
-Had my first London Club experience. It was fun and... interesting. And I guess that's all I can say, since family will be reading this.
- Today I went to the absolutely fantastic open air market, Portbello. It was filled with people, antique shops, and little produce stands. I bought a hat, 2 scarves, a shirt and A LOT of fruit, all for around 25 pounds. Living cheaply in London is definitely doable, you just need to know how to do it. I know I will return to buy gifts here! They have a bunch of Scottish shops selling tartan, and I found the Welsh Campbell clan, now all I need to do is find the Lamont!
- I went on a boat tour today and enjoyed the River Thames. The tour was so so, but I was able to go to the one point in the entire world that I have always wanted to go, Tower Bridge. I had a huge smile on my face crossing it, took about 10 pictures, and replayed the London episode of "Friends" in my head.

I promise not all of my posts will be this long!
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment