Friday, June 11, 2010

Museums and Theatre galore

The theme of this week was museums. It rained everyday, so I decided to take advantage of the wonderful museums and galleries that London has to offer. The first one I went to was the Victoria and Albert museum in South Kensington. I enjoyed the cast collection that was there, but besides that, the whole museum was a little bit of a bore. However, my Phi Mu sisters will be interested to know that I had many quatrifoil sightings here! The next day Melissa, one of my roommates, and I traveled to the Natural History Museum. Everyone has been making such a fuss about this museum saying how amazing it is, but I have to say I was a little let down. I enjoyed the Dinosaurs, the biology exhibit, and the precious stone collection, but besides that, there wasn't much to see. I did, however, get to see the homunculus statues that I have learned far too much about by Dr. Christ, so that was fun.

At this point in my post you may be wondering if I have just had a terrible week. I did get a bit home sick in the beginning of the week, and really regretted not getting a phone that I can call home with, but I powered through and still found ways to enjoy the city. I decided that I needed a couple of "me" days, doing only things that I wanted, and alone. The first me day was spent at the Freud Museum. The psychology nerd in me forced me to travel all the way to Swiss Cottage, but I am very happy that I did. It was so cool to see the office that Freud worked in, especially the infamous couch his patients would lie on. I bought a mug for my future office, and a post card to send to my lab professor. All in all, this was definitely my favorite museum so far. I spent the second me day out shopping before my class. I went to Primark, a ridiculously cheap store in Oxford Circus, and finally bought some un-scratchy sheets. I decided to save the rest of my money and window shop, which was terribly difficult, but I was still able to enjoy the circus without buying too much.

Wednesday night Gordon and I met up with Sandy and saw the Queen musical, "We Will Rock You." AWFUL, TERRIBLE SHOW!! The actors singing was actually quite good, however the acting, plot, dancing, you name it was terrible. I enjoyed the music, after all it was Queen, but the show as a whole was just horrible. Waste of 28 pounds if you ask me. The next night made up for it, though. I went to see "After the Dance" with my class and teachers, which was a wonderful drama about British life after the first world war. Such a thought provoking show with interesting and complex characters, and brilliantly talent in each of them. The show was 3 hours but did not feel as long. It was definitely a good show for us to start with, as I am sure we are going to have a lively discussion on Tuesday about it.

Tomorrow I am off to Stonehenge and Bath, and then cheering on America at a Pub for the World cup. USA! USA! USA!

Cheers!
(ps- Go Hawks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment